Thursday, February 27, 2014

I made lasagna soup!

So somehow I totally forgot that I had this recipe "on deck" and so I went wayyy too long without trying to make it. What is kind of funny about it is that I just woke up one day and was like "I have this brilliant idea to make lasagna soup"....well needless to say it wasn't something I came up with in my sleep, it must have been my subconscious telling me "you need to make this because it is going to be delicious."

So anyways, I made the lasagna soup and it was great. Couldn't have been more perfect for this bitter cold February day.


What you'll need:
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 large zucchini, cubed
1/4 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup tomato paste (I didn't have any so I used pizza sauce....)
3-4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2-3/4 cup uncooked whole grain spiral pasta
shredded mozzarella cheese
parmesan cheese
fresh basil
thyme
oregano
rosemary
red pepper flakes

1. Brown your ground beef in your dutch oven or large pot, once cooked through drain fat from meat and return to pot. Add chopped onion and zucchini and cook over med-high heat for about 3 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook an additional minute. 
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, salsa, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and your herbs (about 1/4 tsp each). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, let simmer for about 20 minutes. While soup is simmering cook your pasta according to package instructions. I left the pasta slightly al dente and then added it to the soup and let it continue to simmer for about 5-10 minutes to finish cooking the pasta.
3. Once the soup is done simmering and pasta is completely cooked through serve soup with a sprinkle of parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top.

We ate this with a bosco stick and it was perfection.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment