Sunday, January 5, 2014

Potato pierogi recipe

Just as I was deciding what recipe I wanted to add to my "on deck" list I stumbled upon this potato pierogi recipe and it looked so great. I said "Eric, what do you think about me making some pierogis?" He looked at me very skeptical....he said "I don't know, it is kind of my family tradition. Do you think you could make some that would stand up to theirs?" So of course, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

What you'll need:
2- 2 1/2 cups flour
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 cup water, lukewarm
3 potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 cup cottage cheese
1 onion, diced sauteed in butter

1. Make your dough by placing flour in a bowl and making a well in the center. Put the egg in the center and a little bit of the water. Start bringing the ingredients together, adding more water or flour as needed. Kneed the dough well for about 8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
2. While your dough is resting make your filling by chunking the potatoes and boiling them until tender then mash with the skin on adding the cottage cheese, onion and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. Roll your dough out on a floured work surface and cut into 2 inch rounds. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of the dough round, wet the edges with your finger and some water, fold over and pinch edges shut with a fork.
4. Start a large pot of boiling salted water. Once your pierogis are made drop them into the water. When they start to float let them cook for about 6 minutes longer (do not over crowd the pot, do them in batches). Remove them with a slotted spoon. If you would like them served steamed then they are ready after this step. If you would like them crispy and fried move on to step 5
5. Melt 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in a skillet and fry your pierogis until brown and crispy on the outside.

These sound awesome and I love making homemade doughs. I think that my recipe would involve a lot less butter (no butter) and I think I would just go for a regular shredded cheese because that would be what I have on hand. But who knows, I do love cottage cheese so I wouldn't mind having some around the house!

Hopefully these stack up to the polish family traditions!



No comments:

Post a Comment