Monday, January 20, 2014

Golombki recipe

I must start out by saying that I had no idea what a golombki even was until my polish boy told me that he was wishing for some. So I did some research and found this delicious looking recipe in Taste of Home magazine. After running the recipe by Eric to make sure this was the real deal I decided it needed to be added to the list of things to try. I sure hope it is as good as it looks, and I hope I can live up to his mom's version (although I am sure I can't, she is a fabulous cook). 

What you'll need:
1 medium head of cabbage
1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed tomato soup
1 1/4 cup water

1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 10 large leaves for rolls. Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use. Cut out the think vein from the bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut. 
2. Cook rice according to package instructions. Cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cook rice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Place 1/2 cup beef mixture on a cabbage leaf, overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, roll up beginning from cut end. Place rolls in a greased baking dish. Combine soup and water, pour over top. 
4. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes until cabbage is tender. 

Even though this recipe passed on Eric's end, I think there are so many changes that I would make. I think there is potential for A TON more flavor if you used regular rice, not instant, and you cooked it in the tomato broth. I would also not use condensed tomato soup. I hate the taste of that stuff, I would go for more of a crushed tomato sauce. Season that up nice and it will get thick and yummy as it bakes. I would leave the cabbage leaves and beef raw and let the tomato sauce cook everything together. This is all just a plan in my head...whether it would work or not is the question...but I can't wait to try it!

Let me know if you have a favorite golombki recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment