Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Homemade Udon noodle recipe

If you recall a few months ago I had a little incident with an exercise injury so I had a lot of free time while I was unable to go to work. So something that I had been wanting to try was make my own pasta but I didn't have any eggs and I sure didn't want to go out to the store (I was permanently in my jammies that week). Then I found that Udon noodles don't contain eggs, also I have been dying to get more use out of my food processor so this recipe was a really exciting discovery.

After I made the noodles I did a quick stir fry with just some green beans, stir fry sauce, soy sauce and garlic. 

What you'll need:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp salt

1. Put flour and salt into food processor and pulse a few times to mix. Remove feed tube and run the machine while you slowly add water. Once all the water has been added let the machine run for a few more seconds until the mixture is evenly combined. It will be very crumbly, not gathered into a ball. If you do not have a food processor put the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the middle for the water then slowly work the water in by hand.
2. Transfer your dough onto a work surface along with all the small bits and knead vigorously for 10-15 minutes until the dough is a very smooth texture (like an earlobe). Once the dough is finished seal it in a zip top bag and let rest for 2-6 hours on your counter. 
3. Once your dough is rested roll it out onto a lightly floured work surface so it is about 1/8 inch thick. Aim for a rectangular shape. Now to cut your noodles make very thin strips and then roll strips out and stretch them so they are thin and about twice as long (cut them to desired length after stretching).
4. Start a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt and add your noodles in batches. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until the noodles float to the top and are chewy tender. Once the noodles float remove them from the pot and rinse with cold water. Once all of your noodles are cooked and rinsed they are ready to use!

This was pretty easy, except for the fact I had strict orders to not use my arms so kneading the dough was not a pretty sight. But other than that these were awesome. They were so thick and chewy, which was great in my little stir fry. I would definetly recommend this recipe if you are interested in making a handmade pasta but haven't tried it before. The key is to not freak out when it seems like you have WAY too much flour and not enough water. KEEP KNEADING and it will come together, I swear. 

Good luck! 





No comments:

Post a Comment