Friday, December 20, 2013

I made the spinach stuffed chicken!

So let me set the scene for this...I was in a terrible mood, it was such a long day at work. Then I call Eric and he says he is fishing and will be home in an hour and a half and that we could order a pizza if I wanted (he could obviously tell I was having a mood) which I thought was just a great idea, until I realized I had no money. So I go up to the kitchen and it was almost like autopilot that I made this dish! It came together so quickly and easily and was actually really fun to make! (Sorry my picture is blurry)

I made all of the changes that I thought I would in the original spinach stuffed chicken recipe, so I guess I do know myself well!




What you'll need:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, filleted so you have 4 thin pieces of chicken
1 cup thawed spinach or wilted fresh spinach
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten







1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking dish lined with tin foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl mix together the spinach, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of each salt, pepper, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning (I used Mrs.Dash). Give it a good mix. Also prepare your breading station. All you need is one bowl with the beaten egg and one shallow bowl with the breadcrumbs.
3. Heat a skillet on med-high heat with about 1 tbsp olive oil. Place a heaping spoonful of the spinach mixture onto the chicken breast and spread to cover in a thin layer. Then roll the chicken from end to end so the mixture is wrapped inside. Take the rolled chicken and dip it into the egg and then roll through the breadcrumbs to coat. Set the roll into the hot skillet
seam side down, allow it to sear shut then flip to get a crust on the other side, about 5 minutes per side. Once you flip the rolls over you may need to use a toothpick to ensure the roll stays secured.
4. Place the chicken rolls into the prepared baking dish and put into the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the chicken is crispy on the outside and the inside is reading at least 170 degrees. Top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese about 15 minutes into the baking process if desired.

I served this up with some instant mashed potatoes, because lets be honest, I had already outdone myself for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Minus the bread crumbs I think I'll add this to my low carb recipe finds!

    ReplyDelete