Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Corned beef and cabbage recipe

To start....sorry there is no photo of this glorious master piece of a meal, but I found this one on google just to try and get your mouth watering. I specifically brought my phone to the kitchen to capture a picture of mine right when I brought it out of the oven and then I was struck by its beauty and instantly forgot to take a picture haha. So just use this photo to imagine what a beautiful 3lb slab of meat looks like resting on a bed of carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. It is the best I could do, and actually it looks quite similar to my finished product.

This was only the second time I have made this dish and the first time was a disaster, so this has definitely been a learning experience. It is something that Eric's parents make and he LOVES so I have been trying really hard to perfect it. I still think there is one thing I would change for next time, but we will get to that.

What you'll need:
2-3 lb Corned beef brisket, with seasoning packet
1 lb baby red potatoes, quartered
1 head cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cloves

1. Place your brisket with all seasoning from packet into a large pot and cover with water. Get water boiling and then turn heat down so you have a steady rolling boil. Let boil covered for 50 minutes per pound of meat.
2. Once you have about 1/2 hour left of boiling add your cabbage, potatoes, and carrots to the pot and continue the boiling.
3. Set your oven to broil and prepare a deep roasting pan lined with tin foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Drain the water from the brisket pot, reserving 1 cup.
4. Stir in about 2 tablespoons of the Dijon mustard into the reserved water and pour into the bottom of your roasting pan (I must warn, I have not tried this part. Next time I make corned beef I will be doing this though. I think it will add a good sauce to the recipe). Then in a small bowl mix together the rest of the Dijon mustard (about 1/4 cup), honey, and cloves. Now at this point feel free to add more honey if you prefer sweeter honey mustard or keep the mixture with more mustard if you prefer it to be tart. Once this is combined, slather the mixture onto the top of the brisket and place into the oven for about 15 minutes, until the top has formed a crust and the liquids in the bottom of the pan have begun to reduce.
5. Slice thinly for sandwiches or into chunks to serve with the potatoes, cabbage and carrots.

I hope you enjoy this one and that my pan sauce experiment works! That boiling liquid just has SOOOO much flavor, I don't want it to go to waste. It would make the perfect sauce. I wanted to wait and post this until I had it perfect, but I am not going to make this again for a while (corned beef is pretty expensive!) and I just couldn't wait to post it, it is too good of a winter meal. Let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment