Saturday, December 7, 2013

Spinach stuffed chicken recipe

This recipe comes from Taste of Home magazine. I haven't made it yet but I thought it was a perfect thing to add into the rotation. It seems fairly simple and the ingredients are definitely things I have in my pantry already, I like that!

What you'll need:
3 garlic cloves
1/3 cup butter (I would sub for olive oil)
1 pkg fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 pkg boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
2/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs

1. Saute garlic in 1 tbsp butter in a large skillet until tender. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Remove from heat and stir in ricotta cheese and a pinch of salt.
2. Fillet your chicken so they are about 1/4 in thick. Spread the ricotta cheese and spinach mixture over the center of each chicken breast. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
3. Place egg in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip the chicken in egg, then coat it with crumbs. Brown chicken in 2 tbsp butter (this is where I would use olive oil instead of butter) in a large skillet. Place chicken, seam side down, in a greased baking dish.
4. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25-30 mins.

Like said above I think I would 86 the butter and go for olive oil, just as calorie cutting measure. I also don't love having a creamy filling in things so I think I would try this without ricotta cheese and would just make the filling with some shredded mozzarella cheese instead and would top with some cheese too. Lastly, I never have fresh spinach, but I ALWAYS have some frozen on hand. I think that would work just as well so knowing myself that would most likely be all of my personal touches.

This sounds delicious in every way. Try it out and let me know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment