Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Down-home macaroni & cheese recipe

Alright everyone, I am on the hunt for a GREAT homemade mac and cheese recipe. This is one that I found that I thought sounded really good. There are, of course, some changes I already know I would make but for the most part this sounds really good.

I tend to feel a little skeptical about recipes from this Kraft foods magazine because I think maybe there are tastier ways to make things but they use specific recipes because they can sneak in AS MANY Kraft products as possible. I found this one to be a good exception to that, even though the did sneak in 3 products, I really think this would be a great pan of mac n cheese.

What you'll need:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
8 oz Velveeta, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (Kraft)
2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Kraft)
6 Ritz crackers, crushed (Kraft)




1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt 3 tbsp butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk and bring to a boil, cook and stir about 3-5 minutes until thickened. Add velveeta, cook 3 more minutes until melted. Stir in macaroni
3. Spoon into greased casserole dish and sprinkle top with cheddar cheese. melt remaining butter toss with cracker crumbs and sprinkle over macaroni.
4. Bake for 20 minutes until heated through and browning on top.

So my only changes are that I think I would add some salt, pepper, and maybe a little bit of cayenne for some zip. Besides that I am excited to try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment