Monday, December 16, 2013

Bacon and rosemary chicken recipe

Rosemary to me is like the hidden gem of herbs. I don't know if other people feel that way, but I really feel like I can't find enough ways to incorporate it. I really enjoy the deep flavor it gives to a pan of roasted potatoes or a cornish game hen. Now that I have discovered my love for rosemary I really like trying it in new ways, and this recipe from Taste of Home looks like it could be a great one to add to the list!
What you'll need:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved and pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
1/4 cup flour
5 bacon strips
1 tbsp butter
4 gloves garlic, sliced thin
1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried crushed rosemary
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp lemon juice

1. Prepare your chicken breasts so they are even thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place chicken into a large bag with the flour. Shake to coat.
2. In a large skillet cook bacon over med heat until crisp. Remove and set on paper towel to cool. Reserve 2 tbsp of the bacon drippings in the skillet and add the butter to melt. Place the chicken breasts into skillet and cook on each side for about 4-6 minutes. For my waistlines sake I would add about 1 tbsp of olive oil into a fresh pan and skip the bacon fat and butter. 
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and add in the garlic, rosemary and pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute. Add broth and lemon juice, bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Return the chicken and bacon to the skillet, heath through. 

Some other things I would change here would be to add mushrooms, cooked in the sauce while it was reducing. I also do not think I would re-add the chicken to the sauce and would instead serve the sauce over the chicken just to try and preserve the crispiness that I would have gotten from man frying it in the oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment