Sunday, December 15, 2013

Cheesesteak recipe

Eric and I both are huge suckers for Big John's steak and onion cheesesteak sandwiches. It is actually a problem...we get it all the time and try and be sneaky so the other person doesn't know we got it because we know they will be jealous. It's that bad. So I am really curious to know if there is a recipe out there that could possibly stack up to our beloved Big John's. This one that I found seems like it could do the trick!

What you'll need:
Hoagie rolls- I feel like these make or break the sandwich. I will be getting a nice soft roll.
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1-1.5 lbs ribeye steaks
butter
provolone cheese
I would add jalapenos 

1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees
2. In a skillet sautee the peppers, mushrooms, and onions with 1 tbsp butter (I would use olive oil) and cook them through, about 5-7 minutes on med-high heat. Once they are done take them out and set them aside. 
3. Cut the steaks thinly across the grain and then chop up into small pieces. Put the meat into the skillet with more butter (olive oil) and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, still on med-high heat, and cook it through. Should take 2-4 minutes. Re-add the veggies in with the meat then separate the mixture into the serving portions and top with cheese. Let the cheese melt and then scoop the whole serving onto a hoagie bun. Roll the buns TIGHTLY in aluminum foil so that it is squishing the bread and place the bundles in the oven for 10-15 minutes. 

You can see a few changes that I pointed out above. I love jalapenos so I would add those and take out the green peppers just because I don't like them as much. I would also skip the butter and just use olive oil. Other than that, these sound really good. I love the idea of wrapping them tight and baking them to get the bread all gooey and yummy from the cheese and meat juices. 

This recipe isn't going to stay "on deck" very long....

No comments:

Post a Comment