Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Twice Baked Potatoes- Healthy version

I get most of my cooking inspiration from Taste of Home, but it is rare that I follow their recipes 100% because they really aren't known for their "healthy" options. So when I stumbled upon this one I was really excited, and even more excited when I read the ingredients and actually felt like I didn't need to make many adjustments without the final taste suffering. So here it is (I would prob add less butter though for real).


The author of this recipe notes that red potatoes are naturally creamier than russet potatoes (classic choice) and therefore need less dairy to get the same effect. I most definitely agree with this and I only use red potatoes in general. I thought it was just because I preferred them, but now I realize that that is a big reason why, they are more creamy and smooth without needing much added. She also uses the fat free yogurt and just a sprinkle of cheese on the top in this recipe, which saves a ton of calories, fat and sodium.
Image result for red twice baked potatoes
What you'll need:
6 large red potatoes
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
3 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp garlic-herd seasoning blend
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese






1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Microwave uncovered on high just until tender, 10-12 minutes, turning once.
2. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each lengthwise in half and scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells. Mash pulp with all ingredients except cheese. Spoon into potato shells. Top with cheese.
3. Bake until heated through, 25-30 minutes until cheese is light golden brown.







No comments:

Post a Comment