Monday, January 13, 2014

My first day on the job



Well it is official! I have survived my first day as a Dietetic Intern at Hurley Medical Center! This was a day that I had been looking forward to for SO long, it felt surreal the whole time I was there. 

Hurley is a public hospital which means that they are owned and funded by the government, which in turn means that they treat anyone that walks through the doors regardless of insurance or financial abilities. Going through orientation today I really took notice of the way that everyone spoke about their job, I must say it was pretty inspiring. Hurley is founded upon the idea that everyone deserves health care, and their employees are there to provide it. Each person that spoke to us addressed the fact that they recognize their responsibility to take care of the community and are happy to do their part. It was really an amazing thing to experience and I felt so at home because I value those same principles. 

Aside from the awesome organization, I will also be working along side some amazing interns that I can't wait to get to know better during the next few months. 

I have thought a lot about what my first few weeks would be like and what experiences I would take away at the end of all nine months and I feel like overall this is going to be nothing like I envisioned. I think it is going to be much more....real...more intense than I could imagine in my head. I am so ready to to watch the dietitians interact with patients and see how they make an impact on people. I just cannot wait to learn from everyone! 

So, overall I would say today went even better than expected and I am excited to see where the next few months will take me. I also can't wait to look like a big girl in my lab jacket!


No comments:

Post a Comment