Sunday, January 5, 2014

Beer battered fish tacos recipe

Fish tacos were my next adventure in my week of house sitting. Like I said before, Eric loves to fish. So one of the days we were house sitting he went out ice fishing and I told him "If you bring me home fish, I will make them delicious for you." So challenge accepted, he brought me 15 bluegill fishies and taught me how to fillet them. Yes, you heard me right, I filleted them myself and it was awesome (bake breaking work, but awesome). What was also great about this is I made a really nice fresh broccoli coleslaw to put into the taco and I also did a beer batter using my own home brewed beer.
What you'll need:
1 lbs fish fillets, you can use whatever white fish you would like, I used bluegill because that is what Eric caught me
1 cup fish batter mix, or make your own (here is a good recipe)
1/2 cup beer, I used my imperial pale ale
shredded mexican cheese
flour tortillas
1 cup coleslaw, homemade or prepared (here is a good recipe)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juice 
1 cup oil, for frying




1. If you are making your own coleslaw start by preparing that and let it set in the fridge while you prepare your fish.
2. Heat your oil, you need it to be about 1 inch deep, over med-high heat until there are ripples on the surface. Mix up your batter according to the box instructions or the recipe you are following. Simply dip the fish fillets in the batter, letting excess drip off, then drop into your hot oil. Do this is batches, letting the oil heat back up in between batches. The fish should be in the oil for a total of about 5 minutes until the outside is golden brown and the inside flakes apart, turning them over a few times during the frying to make sure all sides are brown. Once they are done place them on a plate lined with paper towel or on a baking rack over a pan. 
3. To assemble your tacos heat up your tortilla and add the fish, and coleslaw. Top with cheese, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. 

Winner winner fish taco dinner! Eric LOVED it, couldn't get enough. This was the most self sufficient meal I have ever made. The only reason I used the batter mix was because we had it in our pantry, but I think I would make my own in the future because the ingredients are simple and in my kitchen. Using my own beer and filleting the fish though I think made the meal taste that much better. 







No comments:

Post a Comment