Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tofu stroganoff recipe

Thanks to my very best friend in the whole world I recharged with new recipes! For my birthday Carly got me a subscription to Eating Well magazine and I am more than excited to get trying out these new recipes. Even better, they are healthy!

The first recipe that caught my eye from my first magazine was this tofu stroganoff. I am really into this because Eric LOVES beef stroganoff and requests it for dinner all the time. He even made his mom give me her recipe because it is one of his favorite meals. So I was thinking this would be a fun new version to try.

What you'll need:
1 14oz package of extra-firm tofu
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
8 oz whole wheat egg noodles (6 cups dry)
3 tbsp olive oil
5 tbsp dry sherry
10 oz baby bella or button mushrooms
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
3 tbsp flour
2 cups mushroom or veggie broth
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

1. Cut tofu into small strips (2 x 1/2 inches). Pat tofu dry with paper towel and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.
2. Bring large pot of water to boil and cook egg noodles according to package.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet. Cook tofu in a single layer, gently stirring every few minutes until golden brown on all sides. Add 2 tbsp of sherry and cook stirring until evaporated. Transfer the tofu to a plate.
4. Add remaining 1 tbsp of oil to the pan. Add onion, mushroom, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook stirring frequently until the mushrooms are cooked through. Sprinkle with flour stirring for 1 minute. Stir in broth and remaining 3 tbsp sherry, bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened (3-5 minutes). Stir in tofu. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
5. Serve over egg noodles.

Sounds good and easy, perfect! Now the question is will it stand up to mama Panlener's beef stoganoff....


No comments:

Post a Comment