Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pot roast recipe

Snow + lazy day = comfort food for dinner. This recipe is the perfect lazy/snowy day meal! I have only ever had one attempt at making pot roast and it was a fail. It was oily and lacked flavor and was not cheap, so I haven't given it a second try yet. I am really hoping that this recipe will be a good comeback from last time.

This recipe comes from Taste of Home in their Sunday dinner section. I won't argue with the experts, this will be perfect for an upcoming Sunday Dinner.

What you'll need:
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 lbs)
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1 envelope onion soup mix
3 lbs medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 lb medium carrots, cut into 2 in pieces

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. In a small bowl whisk water, garlic powder, pepper, and gravy, dressing and soup mixes until blended; add to pan. Bring to a boil. Bake covered 1 1/2 hours.
2. Add potatoes and carrots, cook 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Skim fat if necessary.

Easy peasy!

I wouldn't make any changes here, partially because it sounds amazing the way it is and partially because I have no authority to engineer a pot roast recipe with my track record! I think I would serve with some white or brown rice. Maybe this will be Christmas dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment